Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Enabling/disabling ANY heuristic dissector

Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 19:02:12 -0400
I uploaded a patch to Gerrit that allows enabling/disabling of any heuristic dissector (https://code.wireshark.org/review/9508/).

Some comments about the patch (others are welcome to add more):
1. Not sure how to best express the relationship between the "name" of the heuristic dissector and its "parent"/table name.  For example, the AD-win Config protocol has a heuristic dissector that goes on top of TCP and UDP.  Each instance (TCP or UDP) can be enabled/disabled separately.  Requiring an individual name for each heuristic dissector sounds like a bit too much to ask.  Right now they are slash (/) delimited in the GUI and comma delimited in the "disabled_heuristics" file.
2. These "preferences" are read right after the enable/disable protocols are read/applied.  This seemed like a logical place for it (since I added support for enable/disable heuristics in disabled_protos.c), but I'm not sure how that effects the "general" protocol preferences.  Both manipulate the same heuristic dissector list, so "last one would win".
3. I'd like to remove any individual dissector preferences that enable/disable a heuristic dissector (future patch) using the same logic/justification as Decode As. Not sure how to handle heuristic dissectors that should be off by default.  heur_dissector_set_enabled(..., FALSE) can be used, but that won't be "overridden" (enabled) by the fact that the heuristic dissector ISN'T in the disabled heuristics file.
4. I understand the "feature" of enabling/disabling a (heuristic dissector) preference from the context menu, and that could be justification/argument for keeping it (the preference).  Maybe just "appending" the context menu preferences for any protocol that has a heuristic dissector would be a good compromise?