Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] hadoop dissector

From: Helge <Helge.Kruse@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 17:53:09 +0200
Am Fri, 3 Jul 2015 11:26:08 +0200
schrieb Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>:

> if could go into the master:
> >
> > 1) it is written in c++. Would it be acceptable?
>
> No for now we are not accepting any C++ dissector.
>
> > 2) it uses stl maps. Would it be acceptable or should it be
> > replaced by
> some "wmem maps" (maps with custom allocator)?
>
> It should be replaced by wmem maps, like all the other C++ code ;)

Well, there may be some rules for dissectors that shall be added the
the Wireshark master branch. But I just want to note that I wrote all
of my dissectors "in the wild" (except the first one) in C++.
Especially the allocators one must be careful and consider the live
time of the objects. But as long as you build maps at the load time you
can use the standard allocators.

C++ provides so many features that it would be a waste of time to
mimic all of them in C. Probably my dissectors won't get to the
Wireshark master source code. But I can live with my plug-ins. Some of
them implement a proprietary protocol anyway.

Best regards
Helge

--
GnuPG fingerprint: EDCE F8C8 B727 6CC5 7006  05C1 BD3F EADC 8922 1F61