Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] macosx-setup: XQuartz autmatic install and version

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:46:14 -0700
On Jun 26, 2015, at 12:29 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> is there a reason why cmake and qt are automatically downloaded and get their
> installers called but not XQuartz?

Not particularly, as far as I know, but note that we shouldn't do so on releases that come with bundled X11.  It's not as if we're only installing stuff that's built from source or that can be installed 100% from the command-line; both CMake and Qt are installed as binaries (unless you have lots of time on your hand, you do *not* want to install Qt from source) and their installers require a GUI.

(Pro tip: you probably want to tell the CMake installer to put the command-line tools in /usr/local/bin, because /usr/bin is supposed to be for stuff that comes with the OS or that's a stub to provoke the installation of add-on packages from Apple, and you *definitely* want to do that on El Capitan, as you have to boot with rootless turned off in order to install things in /usr/bin.)

> Also, it looks to me that the version currently configured is full of security holes,
> the only "fixed" version seems to be 2.7.8_rc1 are there known problems that cause
> use to use 2.7.5 instead?

No, it's probably that 2.7.5 was the current version at the time the code in the script was written, and it hasn't been updated.