Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] MAC address field

From: "Helge Kruse" <Helge.Kruse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:42:32 +0200

I read about the MAC address in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address#Address_details. This describes that the lower two bits of the first MAC byte are reserved. The lower bit is reserved for non-unicast (a.k.a. as broadcast) and the second for locally administered addresses.

Reading the OUI list at http://standards-oui.ieee.org/oui.txt lists the OUI “02-60-8C” assigned to 3COM. This does not reflect the definition in the Wikipedia article. Is this OUI assigned in error? How can this “locally administered” bit be used?

The Wireshark Ethernet dissector shows this as “LG bit: Globally unique address”.

Best regards

Helge