Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] PVS-Studio analysis of Wireshark

From: Helge Kruse <helge.kruse@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 12:42:03 +0200
Intentinally NOT sent to the list...

I think Opemsource can be used for that purpose even if they get a benefit from it without any donation. Even if I'm wrong it would be hard to do anxthing against it.

They don't tell the price of PVS at the website. I asked for an offer to a hobby programmer. They had to admit that 7,2000$ is too expensive to even talk about it. But they proposed me to use an evaluation version, write and publish a (not necessarily positive) review, and get a one year free license for that.

Here the reason for off-list: What about taking this in a yearly manner by different member of the Wireshark developers? I don't know if PVS is even worth doing this. It just came in mind, anyway they would get their review.

Regards
Helge

Cite:
Thanks for your interest to PVS-Studio!

Unfortunately PVS-Studio is not designed for single developers or projects developed as a hobby. We work with teams involved in commercial software development and offer them licenses with prices starting with $7200. We don’t have any special inexpensive offer for you. As our experience has proved, this area is commercially unpromising.

As an alternative, we can offer you the following deal. We can trade a PVS-Studio license for one article about our tool written by you.

The terms are the following:

We grant you a PVS-Studio license for 2 weeks. You analyze your project, study PVS-Studio, and write an article about it. We coordinate on the text and then you publish it on the Internet. You can post it at your site or blog, or any third-party resource, for examplemedium.com. In return, we will grant you a PVS-Studio license for one year. You can use it when working on your project.

Of course, we are interested in getting positive feedback. But it doesn’t mean that you must only praise our product. Be honest and speak out your true impressions. But I hope you understand that we aren’t interested in granting licenses for being criticized. :)

What do you think of this offer?

Evgeniy Ryzhkov
OOO “Program Verification Systems” (Co Ltd)