Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Restarting WinPcap development

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 20:05:39 -0700
As you may have noticed, the WinPcap project has been dormant for some
time. In order to help the project move forward I've been working with
Gianluca to convert the private WinPcap CVS repository to a public Gerrit
project at https://code.wireshark.org/review. Additionally Riverbed has
agreed to open the WinPcap OEM (aka WinPcap Pro) source code. I'll try to
get that merged into the main WinPcap repository soon.

My immediate goal is to lend bits of Wireshark's infrastructure to WinPcap
so that we can fix compatibility issues with Windows 8 and 10, including
support for Microsoft's newer and more strict driver signing requirements.
Along with the Gerrit project, a WinPcap builder has been added to the
Buildbot master at https://buildbot.wireshark.org/tcpdump/waterfall.

The long term goals and direction of the project are less well-defined and
are largely up to the community. For example, a strong argument can be made
for integrating WinPcap with libpcap. If you have ideas or opinions about
this please send them to winpcap-users or tcpdump-workers as appropriate.

Many thanks to Loris Degioanni and Gianluca Varenni for creating WinPcap,
to Riverbed for providing hosting, and to the various development and user
communities for their ongoing support.