Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Where to call Qt Extcap dialog

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:39:27 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/27/15 7:09 AM, Roland Knall wrote:
> Hi
>
> @Michal - I though of a adding a button there, but this would also break
> usability. Also, changing the current behavior is not something I want to
> do, with a lot of people (but mostly Graham) agreeing to it. What I though
> of is adding a text on the far right side of the interface display, like
> "Options" or something similar. But it would be a clickable text, not a button.

I've gotten used to double-clicking on an interface from the main window.
I'd also vote for a simple "settings" icon instead of text. Either way,
adding the necessary plumbing should hopefully just be a matter of creating
a slot for interfaceTree::itemClicked.

The icon was also one of my ideas. If I find one which would work, I'll add it. Also, I agree with the double-click, got used to it as well.

> @Alexis - It is very likely, that an extcap interface needs to be
> configured, before it may be used. This would lead to "Capture Options" ->
> "Options" -> "Manage Interfaces" -> "Extcap Tab" -> "Select extcap
> interface you want to configure somehow", and will need to an unnecessary
> depth of clicking just to set a boolflag or similar. Setting the options
> should be 1-2 clicks away at the most otherwise people will not use it
> and/or may be getting results because of it.

Should we provide a hint for unconfigured extcap interfaces, e.g. by
drawing their names in italics?

Good idea, I'll implement that.