Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Where to call Qt Extcap dialog

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:21:33 +0200

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

@Michal - I though of a adding a button there, but this would also break usability. Also, changing the current behavior is not something I want to do, with a lot of people (but mostly Graham) agreeing to it. What I though of is adding a text on the far right side of the interface display, like "Options" or something similar. But it would be a clickable text, not a button.

@Alexis - It is very likely, that an extcap interface needs to be configured, before it may be used. This would lead to "Capture Options" -> "Options" -> "Manage Interfaces" -> "Extcap Tab" -> "Select extcap interface you want to configure somehow", and will need to an unnecessary depth of clicking just to set a boolflag or similar. Setting the options should be 1-2 clicks away at the most otherwise people will not use it and/or may be getting results because of it.
Add a Captures => Manages Interfaces ? ;)

regards,
Roland