Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Supported Python versions?

From: Luke Mewburn <luke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:54:39 +1100
On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 04:48:38PM +0100, Peter Wu wrote:
  | Triggered by a build error due to html2text.py, I have recently started
  | with adding Python 3 support to various Python scripts[1][2]. The change
  | to html2text.py[1] was tested with Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.4.
  |
  | The configure script however checks for Python >= 2.5 which was first
  | released in 2006 with the last security update in 2011. This version
  | also lacks support for nice language constructs such as 'with'.
  | checklicenses.py is already incompatible with this.
  |
  | Any objections if this gets bumped to 2.6 or even 2.7? The
  | dfilter-test.py script already requires 2.7 (or newer).

RHEL 6 (and CentOS 6) ship with python 2.6.
python 2.6 has handy language features such as 'with'.

I don't know if python 2.7 provides new language features that are
strictly necessary. I know there are some new modules in 2.7 that some
people prefer (e.g. OrderedDict, unittest, argparse), but IMHO they can
be worked around by using the older version :)

(RHEL 5 has python 2.4, which as you mention, is already complained
about as being too old.)

regards,
Luke.