Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Usage of make-version.pl

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 18:38:44 +0100
Hi all,

I am building Wireshark for Windows, Linux and Mac. I have been reading and analyzing the make-version.pl script and I have found that I am not a perl expert: I have no idea about how to use version.conf.

Can anyone tell me what to put in version.conf and what arguments to use when calling make-version.pl if I want to add an extra version like "-ABCD"?

For instance, Wireshark 1.99.1-ABCD. Sorry for the newbie question!

Hi Juanjo,

this is supported natively for Windows, you just need to edit config.nmake to set the VERSION_EXTRA variable.
For Linux/Mac, this does not seem to be supported out of the box. What you might try (but I have not verified this myself and I'm more a Windows guy so autofoo is kind of magic for me) is to edit configure.ac and put your string in the empty square brackets of the line:
m4_append([version_micro_extra], [])

Other might have a better answers ;)

Regards,
Pascal.