Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Set capture to TZ blah?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 11:50:38 -0700
On Mar 13, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lots of people use Wireshark to help with problems around the world.
> Sometimes they have a capture from another timezone and a log file
> from that same timezone.
>
> The capture has time in UTC while the logs are most likely in local
> time and it can be hard to reconcile the two.
>
> Can we have something added to the View->Time Display Formt menu that
> allows us to specify the actual offset from UTC that the capture was
> made in so that time can be displayed in local time for that Time
> Zone.

Or, at least on most UN*Xes, allow either

	1) the tzdb name for the zone to be specified

or

	2) in Wireshark, have a GUI somewhat like OS X's GUI to select the zone (the fewer people complaining about the city chosen as the name for the time zone, the better, so letting them select without ever having to know about the tzdb naming conventions would be a Good Thing).

We could conceivably even supply our own copy of the tzdb and even support that on Windows and on UN*Xes *not* using the tzdb, if any such remain (HP-UX?), although we'd then also need to provide updates to Wireshark in sync with updates to the tzdb.