Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Undissected reserved fields

Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:32:07 -0500
To me this is a granularity/filter issue.  For dissectors that I don't personally use (but want to increase filterability), I try to put as many reserved bytes into a single hf_ field, mostly out of laziness (for those that care more about the protocol to clean up/decide granularity).  But it does give other users of the dissector a chance to find them with "myprotocol.reserved".  Is that better than "myprotocol && _ws.reserved"? not sure.  For dissectors I personally use, I still usually don't create an individual reserved field for each place one could be, so if I want to find "all" I don't have a really long filter.

You also want consistency so that all protocols use the same convention, so we don't end up with "myprotocol.reserved" for some cases and requiring "myotherprotocol &&  _ws.reserved" in others.  Since we're already far down the "myprotocol.reserved" road now, I'd prefer to stay there rather than update all of the current reserved fields.