Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark crash after removing if(tree)

From: Raj sekar <mrajsekar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 22:36:38 +0800

Hi pascal,

I saw I do have errors due to sdu length.   But it was showing packet malformed.  I set many break points an d found every tree produced the error access violation. In the debug I could see.

I had errors on my code in one function and I have disabled it and seen. So that's the reason wanted to ask any other possible way to solve this.

  Example :
Move all my functions inside my dissect function.  So I can put everything under if (tree) . I do not know it is right or it Will work. I thought of asking suggestions.

I saw there was a question  same issue last time some one posted but there was  no answer so I thought some one may had this problem earlier and help me.

Thanks pascal.

Raj

On 27 Feb 2015 22:25, "Pascal Quantin" <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 27 févr. 2015 14:38, "Raj sekar" <mrajsekar@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I am developing custom dissector and i was having issues on reassembly
>
> with help from PASCAL i have found my reassembly is not working because of if(tree) and if i remove if(tree) i can able to open my pcap file only in debug mode (Edit -> preference -> console window = always debugging). and i can able to see my reassembly successful. but not in normal mode.
>
> i ran MSVC debugger and found the error in trees
>
> in dissect function under if(tree)
>
> iam calling functions  8+ different functions. in debuggger i could see all my sub trees and other trees returning error
>
> ALL trees getting CXX0030 ERROR Mnt tree 0x00000000 null pointer. First child ???? Last child ???? Next ???? Parent ???? Fino ???? Data ????
>
> All the trees have this same error.
>
> my code is some thing like this
>
> dissect function { if (tree){ call function1(passed tree); call function2(passed tree); } } function1 (){ used tree created subtree function3 (passed subtree) } function2(){ used tree created subtree function4 (passed subtree) } function 4(){ reassembly code here.. }
>
> I have used wireshark build 1.11.3 and also i hae tried 1.12.3 both are getting same issue .
>
> Some one please suggest what i can do with this ? any suggestions to overcome from this.

As you seem to deliberately ignore what I already wrote you,  I will quote myself again:
"If you read the documentation found in the doc folder of Wireshark source code, you will see that this is normal to have tree == NULL on first pass and this is gracefully handled by proto_tree_add_XXX functions with recent versions of Wireshark (I do not know whether this was the case with older versions of Ethereal as they are obsolete since years).
On subsequent passes, tree will be not NULL. Please refer to the documentation for further understanding."
You told me that your code is triggering malformed packets and starts access violation, but despite my numerous requests asking you to do step by step debugging to identify the root cause, it seems like you have not done it (no I do not believe a NULL tree is an issue unless you try to do something very bad with it).
If someone feels courageous enough to provide support, feel free :) On my side I give up here.