Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Protocol Export objects - New Dissector Development

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 15:54:40 -0500
On 02/24/15 20:21, leonardocito@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hello.

I am writing to inform that, some time ago from now, I implemented the
"Export FTP Object" functionality. I still have two issue:
when saving large files Wireshark crashes
when clicking the "Save all" button the Wireshark - Export - FTP objects
list freezes in "Non Responding" mode.

After fixing both issues I will do some cleanup; then I will be able to
commit my code to the repository. I won't be able to take this remaining
steps before 10 days' time though.

Regarding future work with Wireshark, I have been thinking of adding the
Export Object functionality to IMAP, POP or SMTP. Are there other
protocols for which this functionality is sought after by the uses
community? If yes, which are they?

I don't know but you could ask on the -users list--a few people seem to still hang out there.

Are there any simple protocols which need a dissector to be added to
Whireshark. I thought of some; but all of them seem to already supported
in Wireshark.

Are there any protocol you can suggest? I would like to develop the
dissector for a simple protocol, and then with the acquired experience
maybe try something more complex.

Check out the bug database: there are plenty of requests for improvements, enhancements, and new dissectors, including some dissectors that are mostly written but need some cleanup (but the cleanup hasn't happened in so long it's unlikely the original author will do anything with it). (Unfortunately some of those bugs may be closed as LATER.)