Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] A suggestion to improve navigating in large captures

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:17:49 -0800
Hi folks,

I often have to deal with large captures. They can be as large as
several GB, and I often have to do things like filter on a specific
type of packet, which will throw up a smallish number of packets of
interest, but I need to look at the packets around those of interest.

This involves selecting the first one of interest, eliminating the
filter, inspecting, but if that is not the area of interest, I
re-filter, then select the second packet of interest and go through
the whole process until I find the group of packets that I am
interested in.

Now, I noticed that in the Edit menu we can mark all displayed
packets. Then if the Go menu was enhanced with a Go To Next Marked the
workflow I mentioned would be much easier.

We could filter and if the packets are exactly what we are interested
in, we could Mark all displayed, then select the first, clear the
filter and then Go To Next Marked until we reach the group we are
interested in.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe