Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Now problems packaging ...

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 22:51:12 +0000
On 1 February 2015 at 22:08, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Graham Bloice
<graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Odd, is that VS2013 Express, VS2013 Community Edition or some other
>> > version?
>> > I believe all versions except the Express, which has now been withdrawn
>> > by
>> > MS in favour of the Community edition, include the vcredist files so no
>> > download is needed.
>>
>> When I start up Visual Studio 2013 it calls itself Professional 2013
>> and the About Dialog box says Microsoft Visual Studio Professional
>> 2013.
>

> That version should have the vcredist files in the above mentioned location.
> I've never needed to manually download the files when using that version.
> There's something in the build system  that should manage that but I can't
> quite see it yet.

Actually, I just searched for it and it is indeed in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\VC\redist\1033.

For some reason it was not being found.

I think that's a bug in the build for x64.

For x86 builds with VS versions other than Express the build packages the mcvrxxx.dll directly to avoid having to run the redist installer for portable packages.

For x64, as no portable packages are built, it looks for the redist installer.  The build system should be able to locate the redist installers in the same manner as it does for the msvcxxx.dll and not require a separate download except for the Express editions.

Some changes need in config.nmake to define the VCREDIST_DIR.

--
Graham Bloice