Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] JSON as mime type

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadrielk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:10:11 -0500
It doesn't look like that's enough. A MIME file type is read by wiretap/mime-file.c, and it appears to look for a magic string at the beginning of the file to decide it's a mime file type. Since a json file won't match any of those magic strings, the file won't be opened as a mime file type.

I don't know how good the jsmn parse check is, but I suppose you could call it from within mime_file_open() after the magic check doesn't match, by reading in the whole file into string and trying the jsmn parse. Does jsmn parse() return false if it can't parse the *entire* string as JSON,  or will it return true if it can parse even just the first newline-terminated line as JSON?

BTW, there's a bug in dissect_json_heur() in packet-json.c, where it calls tvb_get_string_enc() as ENC_ASCII, because I believe JSON is UTF-8 not ASCII.

-hadriel