Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] A description of Wireshark

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 23:21:25 +0100
On 01/12/2015 11:06 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> On 01/12/15 16:45, Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 12, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Also dopping the 'network' from 'network protocol analyzer' doesn't feel right
>>> either. They main focus is still, and will certainly be, network packet
>>> analysis. The fact that record based file formats can be read as well, is just a
>>> nice abstraction, not it's strength.
>>
>> Perhaps one reason Jeff decided to drop "network" was that Wireshark also
>> handles protocols for buses not always thought of as "networks", e.g. USB and
>> Infiniband.
>
> Yes, and this was based on Michal's comment:
>
>> "network protocol analyzer" -> most people read "network" and they are
>> thinking "LAN/WiFi", but they forgot about Bluetooth, USB, etc. I think
>> "network" word can be removed.
>
> To me Bluetooth is still a network (PAN rather than LAN) protocol but (to my way
> of thinking) USB isn't a network.

Yeah, well, the wireshark.org site still states:

Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer. It lets you see
what's happening on your network at a microscopic level. It is the de facto (and
often de jure) standard across many industries and educational institutions.

Are we going to change that as well, for consistency sake?

Thanks,
Jaap