Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] A description of Wireshark

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 15:22:11 -0500
Hi folks,

Michal pointed out[1] that some aspects of the RPM info's description of Wireshark were, well, dated. So I made a stab at modernizing it[2]. I thought, though, that I should post it here as well in order to get a wider review audience. Here's the current version of the changes:

 %description
-Wireshark is a free network protocol analyzer for Unix and Windows. It
-allows you to examine data from a live network or from a capture file
-on disk. You can interactively browse the capture data, viewing summary
-and detail information for each packet. Wireshark has several powerful
-features, including a rich display filter language and the ability to
-view the reconstructed stream of a TCP session.
+Wireshark is a free and open source protocol and file analyzer for UNIX-like
+systems and Windows.  It allows you to examine data from a protocol capture
+file on disk or as it is captured from a live network (e.g., wired or wireless
+LANs or Bluetooth) or from USB devices.  It can also examine the structure of
+some (non-protocol capture) files (such as PNGs).  You can interactively
+browse the protocol or file data, viewing summary and detailed (down to the bit
+level) information for each packet or section of file.  Wireshark has many
+powerful features including a rich display filter language and the ability to
+reassemble multiple protocol packets in order to, for example, view a complete
+TCP stream, save the contents of a file which was transferred over HTTP or
+CIFS, or play back an RTP audio stream.

Feel free to comment here or on [2].

Regards,
-Jeff

[1] https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/4178/2