Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 19:21:04 -0800
On Jan 7, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Funny, when I want to build my normal vi-like editor on Windows/Cygwin I just extract the tarball, type ./configure, and then "make".  Works like a charm. :-)
>
> Admittedly the editor has a LOT less requirements/dependencies than Wireshark...
>
> (I'm also not sure if the author spent any effort on making things work in Cygwin.)

I'm not sure to what extent an app - especially a GUI app such as Wireshark - can act like a native Windows app if built with Cygwin (e.g., supporting *Windows-style* pathnames - a typical Windows user wouldn't expect files on the C drive to have paths with / rather than \ in it, and beginning with /cygdrive/c).