Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] CMake status

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:17:23 -0800
Our CMake environment has been coming along nicely. However, it's still
missing several major build targets that are present in the Autotools
and Nmake+QMake makefiles:

"dist". Balint created a script (tools/git-export-release.sh) which runs
"git archive". I'm not sure how complete it is compared to the current
"dist" output.

"distcheck". Google turned up a couple of "distcheck" CMake modules but
I'm not sure how applicable they would be to our environment. Having
working "dist" and "distcheck" targets implies that they would be usable
on Windows, which would be nice.

"packaging" (Windows NSIS). If we convert the pile-of-defines in
packaging/nsis/Makefile.nmake to a proper NSIS include file it looks
like we could migrate the remaining targets pretty easily. Ultimately we
might want to use CPack.

"packaging_papps" (PortableApps). Same as the NSIS package.

"osx-package" (.dmg). We need to add support for out-of-tree builds to
packaging/macosx/osx-dmg.sh.in.

"rpm-package" (Linux). *Should* be trivial to add.

"wsug", "wsdg", "release_notes" (Windows). We need to figure out how to
migrate the current a2x command (which is an inlined shell script) to
something more suitable for CMake.

"pdb_zip" (Windows PDB archive). *Should* be trivial to add.

ENABLE_CODE_ANALYSIS (Windows build option). Same.

As platforms go, OS X is the closest to completion. If we had a working
"osx-package" target the OS X buildbots could use CMake exclusively.