Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 10:08:53 +0000

On 4 January 2015 at 03:58, Stephen Fisher <sfisher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 06:52:56PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:

> OK, it seems that even after all the complaints MS still haven't
> updated VS 201x to provide it.  IIRC it went missing in VS2010. See
> here for at least one complaint about it:
> https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/771247/win32-mak-is-missing-from-vs-2012-win-8-sdk-install

Which installs don't have it?  I just installed VC 2013 Community
Edition at home (the Win7 machine was at work), this time a32-bit Win8
and it also has the file, but I again needed to update the INCLUDE path:

SET INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\Include

Maybe your Win7 SDK came from an earlier install of the Platform SDK?  I think mine did, I do have a separate entry for it in the Add\Remove Programs list.  I don't think VS2013 installs that SDK, only the Win 8 ones which are missing the file.

I really should try removing VS2013, removing the Win 7 SDK, checking for detritus and re-installing VS2013 CE again.

> I wish we could distribute it ourselves, but it has an MS copyright
> notice on it.  Can we ask someone about it?

Do we really need it?  It says on the top:

# Win32.Mak - Win32 application master NMAKE definitions file for the
#     Microsoft Windows SDK programming samples

Which makes it sound like its intended for the programming samples and
just setups up a bunch of variables/options.

I think we do need some of the vars.  I suppose we could replicate the bits we need in our own makefile.

However, if I ever (or someone else assists) get the Windows CMake build fully operational, all this will go away as we can drop the nmake support.

--
Graham Bloice