Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Update Windows Build Instructions

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 12:52:04 -0800
On 1/2/15 12:11 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 12:01:58PM +0000, Graham Bloice wrote:
>
>> I have mostly got the rework to the Developers Guide ready to update
>> it to use VS2013 Community Edition.
>
> I'm setting up a Windows build environment again for the first time in a
> couple of years and the instructions are working well so far.  This part
> is unclear to me:
>
> "2.2.4. Install PowerShell
>
> If you are running Windows Vista you may need to install Windows
> Powershell 2.0. Later versions should also be supported. You can
> download it from https://www.microsoft.com/powershell";
>
> Does that mean I need to install Powershell only if I'm running Vista?
> But not other versions of Windows?  What does Powershell do for us now?

We have PowerShell scripts that prep text files and assist with NSIS
packaging, both of which are specific to Windows. You must also have
PowerShell 2.0 or later installed if you want to install Chocolatey
packages.

If you're running Vista *and* you have managed to make it this far
without installing PS 2.0 (lots of things seem to require it) then you
must now do so. If you're running Windows 7 or later you shouldn't have
to do anything. Windows 7 includes PS 2.0, Windows 8 includes PS 3.0,
and 8.1 includes PS 4.0. I've uploaded a change which hopefully
clarifies this.