Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ubuntu PPA for Wireshark stable branch

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:49:43 +0100

> Very cool, thanks Balint!
>
> Also on the topic of Ubuntu and Wireshark, it looks like the packages
> that ship with Ubuntu are finally getting some security love:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wireshark/+bug/1397091
Great!

> Evan
>
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have created a PPA for the stable Wireshark branch point releases:
>> https://launchpad.net/~wireshark-dev/+archive/ubuntu/stable
>>
>> The packages are back-ported from latest packaged version in Debian
>> unstable to prevent upgrade problems.
>>
>> Since in Debian we are in "freeze" phase I can't upload 1.12.2-1, but
>> when it is over in a few weeks I will follow the Wireshark releases
>> closely again.
>>
>> It is not an official announcement, just a short status update. The
>> packages are building on Launchpad for the first time and haven't been
>> tested yet. If you feel so please try them and send feedback.
>>
>> Currently packages for Ubuntu 14.10 (Trusty) are building, and I plan
>> adding all supported Ubuntu versions.
I have uploaded and tested the versions built for 14.04 and 12.04. For
now I don't plan providing a version for 10.04, because it is not
supported on desktop, but if there is a need for it it can be added
easily.

The scripts I used for packaging are available at
https://github.com/rbalint/pkg-wireshark-ubuntu-ppa .

I think we could make a formal announcement about it in a few days.
Gerald, would you like to announce the availability of the packages?

Cheers,
Balint