Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] --without-gtk3 doesn't imply --with-qt

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 19:29:44 +0100
Hi Jeff,

> On 11/29/14 05:44, Bálint Réczey wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeff,

>>> I have both Gtk3 and Gtk2 installed but build with Gtk2.  The Gtk3 UI
>>> just
>>> looks horrible to me (and, no, I'm not one who really cares about how
>>> things
>>> look but, well, I have a choice).
>>
>> Could you please share a screenshot about what you find horrible in GTK3?
>> I'm using the Debian package which looks quite good to me and I
>> managed to get the OS X version to be nice as well:
>

> (I generally build on Fedora though what I push to my users is for
> RHEL/CentOS.)
>
> I think what really did it for me was the Decode-As window:
>
> https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201307/msg00198.html
>
> I can (still) barely tell which tab I'm on.
Yes, the active and inactive tabs look almost the same, because there
is no theme installed for GTK+ and the default look was pretty ugly.

Adwaita became the built-in standard theme from GTK+3.14 thus the default look
should change to something similar to what I attached on every system.

>> http://balintreczey.hu/blog/beautiful-wireshark-on-os-x-using-homebrew-and-gtk3quartz/
>

> Looking at it more I think another thing that bothers me even on the home
> page is that the (disabled - because in my build environment I don't have
> capture privs) "start capture now" icon is green (but with a different color
> background) rather than, as in the Gtk2 or Qt versions, well, not green at
> all.
I can hardly fix that in GTK+3, it is the the icon shipped with Wireshark. :-)

Cheers,
Balint