Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] --without-gtk3 doesn't imply --with-qt

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:44:50 +0100
Hi Jeff,

> On 11/26/14 13:01, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>>
>> Is there any reason a user would have both GTK3 and GTK2 installed and
>> not want to use GTK3 for wireshark-gtk builds?  We could simplify it to
>> be --with-gtk/--without-gtk and --with-qt/--without-qt and just use the
>> latest version of GTK on the system (3.x, if available, otherwise 2.x)
>> when requested.  The default could remain to make a Qt and GTK build and
>> if the user didn't want GTK anymore, just pass --without-gtk to the
>> configure script.
>

> I have both Gtk3 and Gtk2 installed but build with Gtk2.  The Gtk3 UI just
> looks horrible to me (and, no, I'm not one who really cares about how things
> look but, well, I have a choice).
Could you please share a screenshot about what you find horrible in GTK3?
I'm using the Debian package which looks quite good to me and I
managed to get the OS X version to be nice as well:
http://balintreczey.hu/blog/beautiful-wireshark-on-os-x-using-homebrew-and-gtk3quartz/

The only platform to receive a facelift left is Win32/Win64 which
Pascal had success with:
https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201410/msg00033.html

When I get my hands on a Windows build system I will give GTK+ 3.14 a
try, but since this most probably won't happen this year I would be
happy is someone working on Windows could fix the build.
I actually think the problems Pascal mentioned are not bugs in
Wireshark but in the Win32/64 GTK+ bundle and should be reported to
the creator of the bundle.

Cheers,
Balint