Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] The possibility of a curses based Wireshark

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:05:20 +0100
Hi Stephen,

> I've started tinkering with the possibility of making a curses text
> based GUI for Wireshark (cshark, I suppose).  I started by making a new
> directory under ui/ for it and creating dummy functions for things that
> the main code base runs (such as file.c) to display things in the user
> interface.  I've wanted such a feature so many times over the years when
> I'm logged into a remote box.  That way I wouldn't have to capture
> packets and then transfer them to another machine for analysis (or do X
> forwarding).
While I would not stop you from starting a nice big interesting
project you can already run Wireshark remotely
via HTTP using GTK+ 3's  Broadway backend.
You just need to use a tunnel for HTTP and it works way better on
high-latency networks than X forwarding.

I attached a screnshot to show it really works. ;-)

Cheers,
Balint