Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Custom link layer type for logging additional data

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 23:54:10 -0800
On Nov 26, 2014, at 11:43 PM, Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How about use "LINKTYPE/DLT WIRESHARK_UPPER_PDU"? With this one
> (+extcap) "wiretap" is complete replacement of libpcap ("Wiretap is a
> library that is being developed as a future replacement for
> libpcap" - wiretap/README).

The README is out of date.

I will update it to indicate that

	1) it is not intended to replace libpcap's capture support (and it contains no capture support, so it's *not* a complete replacement for libpcap; extcap will allow a program to capture traffic and supply it to dumpcap and thus to Wireshark/TShark, but that doesn't help other programs, and that program would still either have to call libpcap or duplicate libpcap's functionality itself)

and

	2) it's an alternative library for *reading and writing* capture files, but is currently only useful for those who don't care whether the API or ABI is stable (wiretap's API and thus ABI is still under development) and don't care whether the library is GPLed or not (libpcap is under the BSD license, wiretap is GPLed).