Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] --without-gtk3 doesn't imply --with-qt

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 10:32:41 -0800
On Nov 26, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Stephen Fisher <sfisher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there any reason a user would have both GTK3 and GTK2 installed and
> not want to use GTK3 for wireshark-gtk builds?

They're a developer and want to either

	1) make sure that a change they're doing won't break GTK 2

or

	2) want to check a fix to a bug that only shows up with GTK 2?

If the plan is to have 2.0 be Qt-only, maybe that's not important, but, if the plan is to have 2.0 be Qt-only, maybe 2.0 won't even have GTK+ code at all, including code for --with-gtk, --with-gtk2, --with-gtk3, or even --with-qt (if 2.0 is Qt-only, then "don't build with Qt" means "don't build Wireshark", and we already have --disable-wireshark).

If the plan is to have Qt be the official GUI but to leave the GTK+ code around in case anybody wants to build it, people will presumably still be filing bugs against the GTK+ 2 code if it's left around, so, unless we get rid of GTK+ 2 support, we may still want the ability to build against either version, for support purposes.