Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] --without-gtk3 doesn't imply --with-qt

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:09:51 -0500
On 11/25/2014 06:09 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:
I decided to stop building my local Wireshark with GTK3 support by
adding --without-gtk3 (or --with-gtk3=no) assuming that this would still
imply that I wanted it built with qt (--with-qt or --with-qt=yes), since
they both default to yes, but the current logic in configure.ac doesn't
account for disabling just one and I get this error:

configure: error: Neither Qt nor GTK+ 2.12.0 or later are available, so
Wireshark can't be compiled

Does anyone see a problem with me changing configure.ac to default to
--with-qt when --with-gtk3=no?

Well the default in master should be Qt=yes, Gtk3=yes. If you use --without-gtk3 (without other options) does that mean:

1) use gtk2 instead of gtk3 (failing if gtk2 is not found)
2) (or) try to use gtk2 if it's there
3) (or) don't use gtk at all?

What about if you give --without-gtk2 (without other options)?

That is to say, the current set of 3 options is kind of odd; I'm not sure there is a good way to do it. But I think it does beat having to first specify you want to use gtk (--with-gtk) and then specify which gtk to use (--with-gtk2) which would probably make it all clear (if painful to use).