Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 08:56:35 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Wu
Sent: den 25 november 2014 09:43
To: Andreas Sikkema
Cc: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "Language" preference?

*sigh* this was supposed to be off-list.

On Tuesday 25 November 2014 00:36:13 Peter Wu wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2014 23:45:11 Andreas Sikkema wrote:
> > Here's an example, a forum that I use quite frequently. When I set
> > Firefox to Dutch, The links for Login and Registration get
> > translated to Aanmelden and Registreren. In my mind, Aanmelden and
> > Registreren both mean Registration. So now I am confsed, which of
> > the links should I follow to login?
>
> In dit specifieke geval is het misschien handig om "aanmelden" als
> iets korts te zien (loop langs de receptie, zeg even gedag) en
> registratie als iets uitgebreiders (geef je naam en andere gegevens op).
>
> Iets wat misschien vaker voorkomt is dat je een taal pakt wat anderen
> ook gebruiken om makkelijker logboeken te kunnen lezen, of om
> makkelijker jouw foutmeldingen door te kunnen geven.

Google translate is funny :-)
> In this particular case, it might be useful to " sign " as
> See something short (walking past the front desk , say hello ) and
> Registration as more elaborate managers (enter your name and other data ) .
>
> Something perhaps more common is that you pick a language which others
> Use for easier reading logs , or
> Easier to give your error reports .

Which also shows that having "translations" might give unpredictable results if the translation isn't up to par which may be difficult to check  ;-)
I don't think I'll ever use a Swedish translation of Wireshark texts. So I'd definitely would like to be able to "force" it to English should I ever use it on a computer with a Swedish language pack.

Regards
Anders