Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] removed functions fast way to find substitutes?

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:21:20 +0100
On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Graham Bloice
<graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21 November 2014 08:48, Semjon <semgo@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I maintain a dissector for a proprietary protocol of my employer and now
>> and then I grab me some current wireshark-sources and check if my
>> dissector code is still compatible which - in recent times-
>> unfortunately often it is not due to changes in the wireshark lib / API.
>>
>> So everytime my code fails to compile/link I have to check which
>> functions were removed and which new functions do I have to use now.
>> One of my current problems is with
>>
>> tvb_get_faked_unicode(...)
>>
>> which isn't available anymore.
>> In my Protocol I have some Ascii-encoded String but which comes as two
>> bytes per character. Example:
>> {0x0031, 0x0032, 0x0033, 0x0034, 0x0000} in tvb should display in
>> GUI/Tree/PacketList as "1234"
>> I used to call:
>>
>> tvb_get_faked_unicode(NULL,tvb, 20,
>> ((tvb_length(tvb)-20)/2),ENC_BIG_ENDIAN)
>>
>> and display result as %s in col_append_fstr() or as FT_STRING in
>> proto_tree_add_string().
>>
>> So could anyone give me a hint, is there a function still available for
>> this type of encoding or do I have to write something.
>>
>> In general is there a fast/convenient way - other than manually looking
>> through the sources after functions that might do what i want - to check
>> if this function X is now replaced by function Y.
>>

> No changelog as such, but there is the git log that details all committed
> changes, and the Wireshark Gerrit that has all changes often with some
> discussion about them.

It is no true ;-)
there is https://www.wireshark.org/docs/relnotes/wireshark-1.12.0.html#_major_api_changes
But yes, there is no the list of full change API... (May be need to
use check-abi or Debian symbol output for update this list before
major release...)