Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Can't get nsecs info form lua srcript ?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:55:56 -0800
On Nov 20, 2014, at 2:43 PM, John Sullivan <jsethdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The second part of the answer involves the meaning of a nanosecond
> precision packet timestamp.

Especially given that there isn't necessarily a guarantee that the time stamps reflect the exact arrival time of the first bit - or the last bit - of the packet at the receiver's network adapter, or that it reflects *anything* other than the time when the hardware, software, or firmware that timestamps the packet first sees the packet (which could be at some point in the host networking stack).