Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] QT graphics version for Windows

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 09:27:11 -0800
On 11/18/14 4:54 AM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
I just noticed that the buildbots (and presumably the releases) are using the opengl version of QT, whereas I've always used the angle version in my local builds.

The QT page on the choice (http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-5-on-Windows-ANGLE-and-OpenGL) implies that the angle version is more general purpose and required if you want to use RDP or QTMultimedia video.

Has there been an explicit discussion on the QT version that I've missed, or should we discuss this now?

Hi Graham,

I don't think this was ever discussed. As RDP is a quite common usage on Windows (as seen with the GTK2 specific memory bug reports we got), ANGLE would seem to be the best choice. The drawback of dropping Windows XP support is not an issue as we already decided to stop supporting it officially.
We fall under the " Your application does not use OpenGL at all" case described in the page linked above, so I followed their recommendations and installed the OpenGL packages. If anyone plans on adding an RTP video player or using QGLWidget I can switch to the ANGLE packages.

Are there issues with using our current packages over RDP? It's been working fine here, even at low color depths.

BTW, there are unofficial Chocolatey packages for the Qt SDK and Creator: https://chocolatey.org/packages?q=qt-sdk, although 64-bit VS2013 support seems to be missing. It might be feasible to create a wireshark-build-essentials metapackage at some point.