Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:19:52 -0500
On 11/07/14 11:51, Guy Harris wrote:

On Nov 7, 2014, at 5:30 AM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Here's my take on the subject (not that it happens often) ...

Sometimes I may find myself having to use someone else's computer in
some other country.  That machine has been set to the local country and
language and keyboard.  As an English speaking Canadian I sometimes
get frustrated when confronted with an unusual keyboard or language setting
and still need to get my job done.

Finding and changing 'system' settings and/or reboots or logouts to change
the settings to something so that I can now use Wireshark (or other apps)
... can... at times ... be frustrating.

Having such a localized mechanism could, in those rare moments, relieve my
frustrations (If I could remember it existed, and be able to find it

when needed.)

(Just to beat the dead horse further...  Or at least add my $.02)

+1 but I'd add the case where I'm looking over someone's shoulder helping them debug a [network] problem or trying to show them a cool Wireshark feature.

"Localized" as in "per-application"?  Per-application mechanisms would merely replace having to "[find] and change 'system settings" with having to find and change individual application settings; that part doesn't sound like an improvement.

Yes, per-application. While Italian is close enough to French for me to muddle my way through Wireshark-in-Italian I doubt very much I'd have the same luck with Wireshark-in-Chinese (I know Wireshark's menus pretty well by now but not *that* well).

And the Italian or Chinese guy whose shoulder I'm looking over would probably be pretty grumpy if I suggested s/he change his entire locale just so this ignorant American could read his own language.

Not to mention the fact his/her computer might not even have the English locale information installed (I'm pretty sure my Fedora systems don't have the Chinese locale installed; though maybe English is always installed since many popular OS originate from English-speaking locales?).

As for the reboots/logouts, that's either

	1) a deficiency in the underlying desktop environment (not delivering "language changed" or "system setting changed" notification, or not being able to do much of the work of responding to those events in the core toolkit, thus forcing every application developer to write their own boilerplate code to handle that)

or

	2) laziness on the part of application developers (if, for whatever reason, they have to opt in to responding to those events - that's why the toolkit should do as much of the work as possible).

Sure but until the reboots/logouts aren't required we shouldn't torture our users by making them use the workaround.