Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] On which platforms is there a need for Wireshark to have a "

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 08:51:13 -0800
On Nov 7, 2014, at 5:30 AM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's my take on the subject (not that it happens often) ...
>
> Sometimes I may find myself having to use someone else's computer in
> some other country.  That machine has been set to the local country and
> language and keyboard.  As an English speaking Canadian I sometimes
> get frustrated when confronted with an unusual keyboard or language setting
> and still need to get my job done.
>
> Finding and changing 'system' settings and/or reboots or logouts to change
> the settings to something so that I can now use Wireshark (or other apps)
> ... can... at times ... be frustrating.
>
> Having such a localized mechanism could, in those rare moments, relieve my
> frustrations (If I could remember it existed, and be able to find it

> when needed.)

"Localized" as in "per-application"?  Per-application mechanisms would merely replace having to "[find] and change 'system settings" with having to find and change individual application settings; that part doesn't sound like an improvement.

As for the reboots/logouts, that's either

	1) a deficiency in the underlying desktop environment (not delivering "language changed" or "system setting changed" notification, or not being able to do much of the work of responding to those events in the core toolkit, thus forcing every application developer to write their own boilerplate code to handle that)

or

	2) laziness on the part of application developers (if, for whatever reason, they have to opt in to responding to those events - that's why the toolkit should do as much of the work as possible).