Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] extcap grammar for checkbox treeview

From: Tomasz Moń <desowin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:18:45 +0200
On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Michal Labedzki
<michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems that you try to move some interfaces from interfaces list to
> one of interface. Why do not you add as much interfaces as you need?
> It seems to be similar case with Android: There is one devices (phone)
> connected by USB to computer. Instead of adding one devices as
> interfaces for "sniffing" I add five interfaces (logcat main, logcat
> events, logcat system, logcat radio, bluedroid*).

No, I am not. On my laptop I have 7 USBPcap control devices (or on
Linux, 7 usbmon interfaces). This is not going to change, there'll
still be 7 USBPcap interfaces in the interface list in case of my
system. The change allows finer control for user regarding which
devices he wants to filter within selected USB Root Hub.

> I am  not sure that hiding interfaces into options is good idea...
> however it is better then hundreds of interfaces in main list :)

I think it's the way to go for USBPcap. Currently it either captures
complete traffic on selected USB Root Hub or nothing (pretty much just
like usbmon works on Linux). USBPcap creates one control device per
USB Root Hub and it's exclusive access.