Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] should extcap dir be a preference?

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:09:06 +0200
I had a preference setting already in place, but removed it after considering that extcap filters might be installed via some sort of automatic setup, and searching for a user-defined path may proof to be trickier than assuming a pre-defined one. That's why I added the folder to the about dialog, so at least you can easily determine where it is located.

If there is a preference, I'd prefer, that it defaults to the current settings.

regards
Roland

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Aug 26, 2014, at 6:57 AM, Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> at the moment, the directory for the extcap binaries is defined at
> compile time.
>
> When I first tried extcap a year ago, I created a patch to make the
> extcap directory a preference. This was much easier for me to handle
> when I played with several extcaps that needed frequent recompiling.

So why is it easier to handle with the directory being a preference?  As far as I know, we don't have a preference for the directory in which Lua scripts are found, for example.

Is it because the extcaps were in *different* directories, and you needed to point Wireshark at the directory for the extcap on which you're working?

If so, does that make the path more like $PATH, so that you might want to have a *list* of directories?