Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Expert "name" field in same name space as hf[] "abbrev" field ?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:30:14 -0400
Since both the ei_register_info "'name' field and the hf_register_info 'abbrev' field can be used as filters I expect that they effectively are in the same name space and thus there should not be a matching 'name'/'abbrev' between the ei[] entries and the hf[] entries in a dissector.

Is this correct ?

If so, I would have expected matching entries (ei[] 'name' vs hf[] 'abbrev') to have been detected and rejected.

AFAIKT, matching entries ('name"/"abbrev') apparently aren't being rejected. (See packet-mausb.c).

Thoughts ?

Bill