Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qt License Change

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 03:22:27 +0200
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 02:30:49PM +0100, Tyson Key wrote:
> I'm not a lawyer - but judging by that post, and the statements "...we are
> now adding LGPL v3 as a licensing option to Qt 5.4 in addition to LGPL
> v2.1", and "All modules that existed in Qt 5.3 will still be available
> under LGPL v2.1. So if you are using Qt under the GPL v2 or LGPL v2.1,
> nothing changes as long as you don’t use any of the new modules that are
> only available under LGPL v3", we should be OK, as long as we're careful
> about using some of the New Shiny(TM) stuff in 5.4.
>
> That said, to be honest, I can't see us moving the UI to Qt Quick; or using
> WebGL, or the new HTML renderer, any time soon, anyway...

I noticed the license change as well and came to the same conclusion as Tyson:
We are *not* affected as one of the QT licenses is (and will remain) the
GPLv2 (but that's easy to miss in the announcement). LGPLv2.1 may go away
for some components, but we don't have to care about that as we are GPLv2.

Ciao
    Jörg