Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding a new dissector - beginners guide

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:03:46 +0100
On 21 August 2014 21:36, Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thomas Wiens <th.wiens@...> writes:

> On 21 August 2014 21:41, Jeff Morriss wrote:
>
> > For the short term, I'd suggest doing:
> >
> > git stash
> > git review [-f]
> > git stash pop
> >
> > There might be a better answer longer term--maybe one of the guys who
> > actually uses Windows has practical suggestion.
>
> It works! Thanks.

What actual changes are you making to config.nmake?  I think you can, for
the most part, simply set environment variables and avoid the need to
directly modify config.nmake.

- Chris

Definitely the way to go rather than carrying local mods to config.nmake around all the time.

Create a batch file containing something like:

REM Environment setup for Wireshark using VS2010
set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
set WIRESHARK_BASE_DIR=E:\Wireshark
set WIRESHARK_TARGET_PLATFORM=win32
set QT5_BASE_DIR=C:\qt\Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32-ws
set VisualStudioVersion=10.0
set WIRESHARK_VERSION_EXTRA=-GMB

Adjusting as appropriate for your environment, and you shouldn't need to touch config.nmake except for real changes to it.  Note that the VisualStudioVersion env var isn't required for VS2012 onwards (it's added automagically by the VC batch files), and we're moving to VS2013 for master so you should try to move to that as well if you aren't already there.

--
Graham Bloice