Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RFC: Internally Generated "Records"

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:25:14 +0200
Hello Evan

Just a little side-note, could you explain what you mean by "records"? With the openSAFETY dissector I voiced the issue some time ago, that openSAFETY in itself is a protocol, where it may end up being multiple nodes sending data in the same ethernet frame. Your solutions seem similar, although I still would face one issue, and that is visual representation.

On a field-bus network (Powerlink, SercosIII, Ethercat, openSAFETY over XXX, ...) there are devices called bus-controllers, which basically gateway data from backplane connected devices onto an ethernet-based bus. Therefore we would have ethernet frames, where we would see up to 500 nodes crammed into one single Ethernet frame (for the openSAFETY dissector it would be around 50). Simply stating where a new record starts is not enough, because there may be data in between (for managing the cramming of the nodes), the data may be multiplexed over multiple frames, and so on.

Also, beside the obvious data representation, the visual representation is lacking big-time. Take a look at any openSAFETY trace I put online, and you'll see what I mean. On a daily basis (at my work) I see Ethernet frames containing 30-50 openSAFETY nodes on smaller networks, which leads to a nearly impossible to decipher picture. I could provide you with such a sample trace, to further demonstrate the issue. My best answer to that problem (and I have been thinking on it for months now), would be some sub-entry representation in the list, similar to a directory structure.

That said, I started a three weeks vacation today, mostly for working on a solution to my problem above, and as well as to getting the extcap interface finally out of gerrit. So if I can be of any help, feel free to ask, I would really appreciate a solution going forward towards 2.0.

regards,
Roland