Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] switching to proto_tree_add_subtree()

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:23:07 -0400
proto_tree_add_subtree should be proto_tree_add_text + proto_item_add_subtree (where the return value of proto_tree_add_text is input to proto_item_add_subtree).

When I originally created proto_tree_add_subtree, I thought it would be "more optimized" to include the function body of proto_tree_add_text, rather than just call the function itself.  It seems like Martin found a subtly in why that shouldn't be done (that I still don't understand).
However, the tree_item variable is intended to add as the "return value" for the "hidden" proto_tree_add_text, which dissectors can (and do) use to append more text or set the length to.

So perhaps the simplest fix is to just have proto_tree_add_subtree be what it really was intended to be - just proto_tree_add_text (as the function call) + proto_item_add_subtree.

Michael