Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building rather than downloading CMake in macosx-setup.sh (w

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 14:39:32 -0400
On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 14, 2012, at 6:40 AM, jmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=40498
>
> User: jmayer
> Date: 2012/01/14 06:40 AM
>
> Log:
> Optionally build cmake, document why we need xz
>
> Directory: /trunk/
>  Changes    Path               Action
>  +20 -3     macosx-setup.sh    Modified

So is there a reason to build CMake from source rather than downloading one of the binaries for OS X?

I don't think so. About a month ago I played around with building on OS X using homebrew packages instead of macosx-setup.sh. Jörg helped me fix a few things at Sharkfest, and I believe (though I haven't recently verified) that [1] is the only thing standing in the way of building wireshark (with cmake) using only homebrew packages, i.e. without running macosx-setup.sh at all.

In fact, I believe my current macbook still builds Wireshark entirely from homebrew (with some extra manual symlinks added to work around [1]). I have no idea how autotools would behave with a similar setup, but if it is also happy it might be worth simplifying macosx-setup.sh to:
- install the appropriate brew packages
- add symlinks to work around [1]

Thoughts?