Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Oldest version of VS supported?

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:02:26 +0100
On 24 July 2014 19:06, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 24 July 2014 19:03, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 24 juil. 2014 20:00, "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> On 24 July 2014 18:51, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Hmm, OK. So we need an updated developer's guide setup section. I will try
>> > to update my Windows vom 2010 to 2013 and see how it goes - just have to
>> > find out how to snapshot the VM first ;->
>> > Could you update Makefile.nmake and config.nmake to rip out all the
>> > stuff that deals with older versions? That would make my life with the
>> > CMake work on Windows somewhat easier  ;-)
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >    Jörg
>> Could not we keep at least VS2010 but change the default to VS2013 (if
>> everybody agree)? I find it a quite drastic change to drop all older
>> compilers suddenly... This is not something we have done in the past.
>>

> That was what I was meaning, we would leave support for VS2010, and fix up whatever is needed for 2012 & 2013.  2013 builds well for me.  The toolchain in 2013 is a big improvement over 2010.
>
> I think we can make nmake autodetect the version and possibly CMake too, although that likes to make it's own mind up so needs a command line switch if you have multiple versions.

Which make me think that I must upload the MSVC2013 Lua package :)

The current one builds and runs fine with VS2013, but I don't think I've tried any Lua scripts with it.

I have two batch files, one for VS2010 and the other for VS2013.  Both are set by default for x86 builds, but it shouldn't be too hard to make them bit-width agnostic.

For VS2010:

REM Environment setup for Wireshark and VS2010

set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
set WIRESHARK_BASE_DIR=E:\Wireshark
set WIRESHARK_TARGET_PLATFORM=win32
set QT5_BASE_DIR=C:\qt\Qt-5.1.1-MSVC2010-win32-ws

set VisualStudioVersion=10.0

set WIRESHARK_VERSION_EXTRA=-GMB

and for VS2013:

REM Environment setup for Wireshark and VS2013

set CYGWIN=nodosfilewarning
set WIRESHARK_BASE_DIR=E:\Wireshark
set WIRESHARK_TARGET_PLATFORM=win32
set QT5_BASE_DIR=C:\Qt\Qt5.3.0\5.3\msvc2013

set WIRESHARK_VERSION_EXTRA=-GMB

I run these from a "Visual Studio Command Prompt", look in the Start Menu for the appropriate "Visual Studio Tools" entry, and in there should be some shortcuts.  Using the batch files, no changes are required to the sources for a plain vanilla build.

--
Graham Bloice