Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Difference between Autofoo and CMake build ?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:58:51 -0400
(For Jörg Mayer)

While reviewing the new ceph dissector [1], two issues cropped up where my build on Linux (using Autofoo) apparently gave different results then a build by Kevin Cox (the submitter of the new dissector) using CMake on Linux.

He used GCC 4.9.1 and CMake while I used GCC 4.9.0 and Autofoo.

1. The Autofoo compile indicated an
  "unused but set" variable
   The CMake apparently did not.

   Different CFlags ?

2. The ceph dissector had several value_string_ext structs
   defined as 'static const ...'.

   The Wireshark built with CMake worked AOK when
   the ceph dissector used the extended value
   strings for the first time (i.e., no exceptions).

   The Wireshark built with Autofoo trapped
   when the extended value string structs were used
   for the first time (when there was an attempt to
   write to the struct).

   IOW: In one case, the structs were apparently not in a r/o section
        while in the other they apparently were.

   I've no idea if this difference has anything to
   do with CMake vs Autofoo.

Thoughts ?

[1] https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/1889/