Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Current 'pre-commit' issues

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 16:10:37 -0400
On 07/11/14 12:42, Bill Meier wrote:
I've been working with the current 'pre-commit' and have noticed the
following issues:
[...]
1. For the above reasons, I propose that pre-commit only do checkAPIs,
    checkhf and fix-encoding-args for dissector files (to be determined
    in a rather ugly ad-hoc way by seeing if the file is named
    "packet-.+\.[hc]" (as is done now with 'checkAPIs -p').

    pre-commit would still do the whitespace check for all files.

    checkAPIs can be called for all .[hc] files when/if the current
    Errors are fixed.

Right now the intelligence about which files are checked with what (checkAPIs) parameters is in Makefile.nmake. Last I checked those parameters were not accurately reflected in Makefile.am. And then we've also got CMakeLists.txt and now also the pre-commit script.

Sounds like a strong argument to move that intelligence into checkAPIs itself (or a config file to it) rather than trying to maintain it in 4 locations...