Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bug in expert_add_info_format with a NULL pi parameter

From: Peter Wu <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 01:18:08 +0200
On Saturday 19 July 2014 00:33:26 Peter Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While working on refactoring the SSL dissector[1], I noticed that
> expert_add_info_format(pinfo, NULL, ...) does not add an expert item to the
> tree view. In the case of the SSL dissector, the NULL should be replaced by
> the proto item to which the message is related, but with pi = NULL, an item
> should still be added somewhere, right? See attached capture. It should add
> an expert warning with "Cipher suite length (1) must be a multiple of 2".
> Note that in the current implementation, a text label is also added.
>
> This is probably a bug, but the documentation says this:
>
> /** Add an expert info.
>  Add an expert info tree to a protocol item, using registered expert info
> item,
>  but with a formatted message.
>  @param pinfo Packet info of the currently processed packet. May be NULL if
>         pi is supplied
>  @param pi Current protocol item (or NULL)
>  @param eiindex The registered expert info item
>  @param format Printf-style format string for additional arguments
>  */
> WS_DLL_PUBLIC void
> expert_add_info_format(packet_info *pinfo, proto_item *pi, expert_field
> *eiindex,
> 	const char *format, ...) G_GNUC_PRINTF(4, 5);
>

> I have confirmed (via a gdb breakpoint) that pinfo is never NULL. Any idea
> what is going on here?

Upon further investigation, it seems to be a bug in the SSL dissector. With a
NULL pi, the expert item is not added to the tree view (which is fine). But
due to a bug, it is also not available in the expert info overview.

By removing the `if (tree || ssl)` from ssl_dissect_hnd_hello_common and
ssl_dissect_hnd_cli_hello (after applying patch up to change 3021), the expert
info is displayed again (because the offset is calculated correctly), but only
when "Restrict to display filter" is enabled. When that checkbox is not
checked, the expert item still disappears.

In dissect_ssl3_record, dissection of the individual messages is skipped if
the tree is not available:

  1915         /* PAOLO: if we are doing ssl decryption we must dissect some
requests type */
  1916         if (ssl_hand_tree || ssl)

By adding '|| 1` here, the expert info is always added, as expected. I can
imagine the overhead of decryption, but this will break all expert info fields
in WS operating in the record layer. For now I will remove the `if
(ssl_hand_tree || tree)` optimization I think.

Peter

--
Kind regards,
Peter