Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Updates to developers guide for Windows

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 22:55:58 +0100
On 15 July 2014 23:18, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 15, 2014, at 2:03 PM, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm going to add some info to the developers guide for building with VS2013, I'll probably add VS2012 although MS seems to regard that as dead as the EE version isn't available any more.
>
> Any objections if I remove all the stuff about ancient compilers pre VS2010?

Can those older compilers compile the current Wireshark source?

They might be able to, who knows.  With the free availability of VS2010EE and VS2013EE why would anyone want to use the old and buggy compilers.  Basically I'm calling it a support issue, and it's stuff I think we don't need to support.

And will they run on XP or later, and can they build for XP or later?

I know VS2005 Pro runs on Win 8.1, but I would only use it for a legacy product.  All the compilers can build for later OS's, it usually depends on the later versions of the Platform SDK's also being installed (which often bring in new compilers), hence my dislike of detecting the compiler version in the source, when it's really about the SDK in use.

I haven't tried running VS2013 on XP, it does have some .Net framework dependencies that might prevent it running.

If not, we should *definitely* nuke them, as I don't think we currently support building for anything prior to XP, and I'm not sure we even support building *on* XP any more.

As I say, it's all legacy stuff, the only cost to move up is the OS, so I can't think of a good reason why we need to keep all the legacy clutter.

--
Graham Bloice