Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tvb allocator (was: Re: [Wireshark-commits] master b6d20a2:

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 02:42:33 +0200

> Den 11 jul 2014 23:13 skrev "Bálint Réczey" <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Please provide the input data for letting others reproduce the results
>> or perform the performance tests on pcap files already available to
>> the public
>
> Ok I'll see if we can use something from the wiki instead.
>

>> I'm not a fan of implementing custom memory management methods because
>> partly because I highly doubt we can beat jemalloc easily on
>> performance and custom allocation methods can also have nasty bugs
>> like the one observed in OpenSSL:
>> http://www.tedunangst.com/flak/post/analysis-of-openssl-freelist-reuse
>>

> We have gone through a set of memory allocation schemes already to try to
> improve performance (g_slice, emen and now wmem) are you saying that you are
> opposed to that?
No, IMO there is need for wmem for being able to keep memory allocated
during scopes,
but I would prefer seeing it only tracking and one-by-one freeing the
memory areas instead of doing bulk alloc()-s for optimizing for speed.

I tried to detail this in my answer to Evan's email.

> As wmem seems to be the faster scheme for packet scope memory allocation
> /free, why not use it in all possible places where  the scope is "packet"?
>
>> Please don't sacrifice protection for 2% speedup. Please keep wmem
>> usage for cases where it is used for garbage collecting (free() after
>> end of frame/capture file) not when the allocation and deallocation
>> are already done properly.
>
> ? A slow scheme might be working well but that in it self does not warrant
> to not replace it with a faster one. With this reasoning we shouldn't have
> introduced ep memory in the first place.
>
> What percentage if improvement do you think makes a change worthwhile?
>
> The set of improvements Jacub and I have done lately has given a reduction
> of 40-50 percent compared to 1.10 measuring with the sample file. The
> problem is that each improvement only yeald a percent or 2. Agreed that we
> shouldn't complicate the code for a small speed gain.
40-50% reduction is great and congratulations for such a speedup!
I hope memory allocation handling is responsible for only small
fraction of it because I would like to keep the possibility of
detecting memory allocation related errors and I would prefer using
tools implemented outside of Wireshark.
For example I would avoid bulk allocations to make us able to use ASAN
and Valgrind, even if we would implement our canaries.

> In your blog you say that people would accept double the execution time with
> increased security - I'm not so sure. If say the reformatting of a video
> takes one hour instead of 30 minutes.
In Debian you would be able to pick a slow and secure video player for
streaming from the untrusted Internet and a fast and less secure video
encoder.
I expect people to install Wireshark from the hardened-amd64
repository if they want to monitor a hostile network, while others
pick the fast Wireshark for using it in their safe labs.
So it depends and there will be good options to choose from.

Cheers,
Balint